Seventeen Houthis were killed in American strikes which targeted their positions in Yemen, official media of these insurgents said on Saturday after a public funeral in Sanaa.
“The bodies of members of the armed forces martyred during the bombings of the American-British aggression were carried during a funeral procession in Sanaa,” Saba news agency said, listing their names.
The United States announced on Thursday that it had carried out new strikes targeting four surface drones and seven cruise missiles “ready to be launched against ships in the Red Sea” by the Houthis in Yemen, where the rebels control vast territories.
The American army also carried out strikes on Wednesday on Houthi sites close to Iran.
Since November, the Houthis have said they have targeted ships in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden that they believe are linked to Israel, in “solidarity” with Palestinians in the Gaza Strip, where the Palestinian terror group Hamas is at war. against Israel.
Their attacks have forced many shipowners to suspend passage through this zone where 12% of world trade passes.
Israel’s first ally, Washington, which designated the Houthis as a “terrorist” entity, set up a multinational coalition in December to “protect” maritime traffic.
This coalition having so far not allowed a cessation of attacks, American forces, sometimes with the British ally, have carried out several strikes against the Houthis in Yemen since mid-January.
The Houthis have been at war since 2014 against the power in Yemen, a poor country on the Arabian Peninsula.
This article is originally published on fr.timesofisrael.com