Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay Daily Mail £9.5m

Date:

Prince Harry and six other high-profile claimants have been ordered to make an initial payment of £9.54 million towards the legal costs of Associated Newspapers, the publisher of the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday, after losing a major High Court privacy case. Mr Justice Matthew Nicklin ruled on Friday that the payment must be made by 4pm on 28 August, while further proceedings will determine the final amount the group may have to pay.

The ruling represents a significant financial consequence of the failed litigation, which centred on allegations that Associated Newspapers had unlawfully gathered private information about the claimants. The publisher strongly denied the allegations. The seven claimants include Prince Harry, Sir Elton John, David Furnish, Baroness Doreen Lawrence, Elizabeth Hurley and Sadie Frost.

Why has Prince Harry been ordered to pay £9.54 million?

The payment follows the dismissal of the claimants’ cases against Associated Newspapers after an 11-week trial in London earlier this year. Mr Justice Nicklin rejected the allegations in a judgment handed down on 7 July, finding that the claimants had failed to prove their pleaded allegations.

The latest ruling is a payment on account of legal costs, rather than a final determination of the entire bill. The judge ordered the seven claimants to pay £9,544,355 by 28 August while the court considers the publisher’s wider costs claim.

Associated Newspapers told the court that its total legal costs had reached more than £34 million, with figures cited during the proceedings putting the sum at approximately £34.5 million. However, the court has not yet determined that the claimants must pay the whole amount.

What did the original Daily Mail lawsuit allege?

The lawsuit concerned allegations of unlawful information gathering by journalists and private investigators working for Associated Newspapers titles.

The claimants alleged that private information had been obtained through practices including phone interception, surveillance and accessing confidential information. The allegations related to material published between 1997 and 2015. Associated Newspapers denied wrongdoing throughout the proceedings.

The case formed part of Prince Harry’s wider legal campaign against sections of the British tabloid press. He has previously brought successful privacy and data-related cases against other publishers, making the Associated Newspapers litigation one of the most closely watched press-law disputes involving a member of the Royal Family.

However, the High Court found in July that the evidence presented in this particular case did not establish the alleged unlawful conduct.

Why did the judge order costs on an indemnity basis?

A central feature of Friday’s ruling was the decision that Associated Newspapers’ costs should be assessed on an indemnity basis, rather than the standard basis sought by the claimants.

An indemnity costs order can result in a greater proportion of a successful party’s costs being recoverable. The judge said the litigation had moved outside what he considered ordinary and reasonable civil proceedings, citing the speculative nature and breadth of the allegations and the way serious accusations were publicly presented.

Mr Justice Nicklin also criticised the continuation of allegations where, in his assessment, the evidence had required reassessment. His ruling followed a two-day hearing focused specifically on costs after the substantive claims had already been dismissed.

The decision does not itself establish the final amount payable by the seven claimants. If the parties cannot agree on the recoverable costs, a separate costs judge will determine the amount.

How much could the legal bill ultimately be?

The £9.54 million payment is only an initial contribution. Associated Newspapers has said its legal costs exceeded £34 million, although the court expressed concerns about the size of the publisher’s claimed costs and has not ruled that the entire figure is recoverable from the claimants.

The distinction is important. The current order concerns the basis on which costs should be assessed and an interim payment, rather than a final bill.

The claimants’ lawyers had argued for a lower initial payment of slightly more than £7.9 million, while Associated Newspapers had sought almost £10 million upfront. The court ultimately set the interim payment at £9,544,355.

What have Prince Harry and the other claimants said?

Prince Harry and Baroness Doreen Lawrence previously described the July judgment as a “complete and obvious whitewash”, signalling that the claimants strongly disagreed with the court’s conclusions.

The criticism reflects the wider significance of the case for the claimants, who argued that serious breaches of privacy had taken place. Associated Newspapers, by contrast, has portrayed the judgment as a major vindication of its journalism and its defence against the allegations.

The latest costs ruling therefore adds a substantial financial dimension to an already contentious dispute, although the parties remain entitled to pursue the legal avenues available to them.

What happens next in the Prince Harry Daily Mail case?

The immediate deadline is 4pm on 28 August, when the £9.54 million interim payment is due. The ultimate liability for legal costs will be determined through further proceedings if an agreement cannot be reached.

There is also a potential appeal process. The court has set a timetable under which applications for permission to appeal the substantive July judgment must be made by 2 October 2026.

Any appeal would therefore determine whether the July judgment rejecting the claims can be challenged further. Until then, Friday’s ruling leaves Prince Harry and his fellow claimants facing a significant immediate financial obligation.

Why does the ruling matter for press and privacy law?

The case is significant beyond the personalities involved because it highlights the evidential burden faced by claimants making serious allegations against media organisations.

Privacy and unlawful-information-gathering cases can involve events that took place many years earlier, making documentary evidence, witness testimony and contemporaneous records particularly important. In this case, the High Court concluded that the evidence before it did not prove the allegations advanced by the seven claimants.

The costs ruling also demonstrates the potential financial consequences of litigation when a court considers that proceedings have been conducted outside the ordinary range of reasonable civil litigation.

For publishers, the case is likely to be closely examined as an important defence victory. For claimants bringing future privacy cases, it underlines the importance of establishing allegations with evidence capable of satisfying the civil courts.

What could happen next for Prince Harry and the other claimants?

The immediate focus will be on the £9.54 million payment, followed by the assessment of Associated Newspapers’ wider costs. The possibility of an appeal remains, subject to the court’s timetable and any application for permission.

The broader consequences will depend on the eventual costs determination and whether the July judgment is challenged successfully. For Prince Harry, the case marks a major setback in his continuing legal disputes with the British press, while for Associated Newspapers it represents a substantial victory after years of litigation.

Readers should continue to monitor the case for developments on the final costs bill and any appeal because those decisions could significantly alter the financial and legal consequences of one of the UK’s most closely watched modern privacy disputes.

Share post:

Subscribe

Electric Scooter XElectric Scooter X

Popular

More like this
Related

15ft Python Receives Human Cancer Treatment in World-First Procedure

A 15ft (4.5-metre) reticulated python at Chester Zoo has...

Hans Kluge Enters Race to Become Next WHO Director-General

Dr Hans Henri Kluge, the World Health Organization’s Regional...

Air Arabia Expands Frankfurt Service With Daily Flights for Travellers

Air Arabia is strengthening its European network as it...

Harry and Meghan’s UK Return Reignites Questions Over Security Arrangements

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s planned return to the...